About Dartmouth Housing
Dartmouth Housing is a not-for-profit provider of affordable housing established in 1982. The majority of our properties are 3 or 4 bedroom duplexes, all within Dartmouth. The organization was established to fill the housing demand for families that did not have sufficient earned income to obtain decent, adequate and safe living accommodations.
Our mandate is to provide safe, affordable housing for low and middle income working families.
Am I Eligible?
The first step is to refer to our Eligibility Checklist in the very next section (scroll down!)
If you are eligible you will then need to complete the Housing Application Form and send it to our office for assessment.
What happens after I submit the Housing Application Form?
We will assess your application and be put on our wait list. Unfortunately, we are unable to give exact time frames on the wait. The number of people on our wait list for housing has grown and we do not have enough housing for the number of people who have applied for accommodation.
There are a number of factors that affect how long you will need to wait including:
- The availability of vacant properties that match the type of housing you need.
- The availability of vacant properties that match the area of Dartmouth you may have requested.
What happens if my situation changes?
Please let us know immediately if any of your personal or housing circumstances have changed. You should ensure you provide us with up-to-date contact details as we need to be able to contact you quickly if a property becomes available.
If you have any questions about your eligibility for housing please call us at (902) 469-0543.
To apply for affordable housing with Dartmouth Housing, please ensure you qualify using the following checklist:
- The Primary Applicant must be 18 years of age or older
- Your household income from all sources must be within the minimum and maximum limits (including children 18 years of age or older)
- Apartment (1BR - 2BR) Min - $10,000/year Max- $ 25,000/year
- House (3BR - 4BR) Min - $22,000/year Max- $ 55,000/year
- Must be able to provide the most current Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for income verification for household members 18 years of age or older
- Must not have ownership in any Real Estate (Residential/Commercial)
- All rental balances owing from any landlord must be paid in full
- Must provide proof of student status for children age 18 to 24 who are full-time students
- Must not own a pet. Units do not accommodate pets
- Must be able to open an account with NS Power and Halifax Water in the leaseholder(s) name
*CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPING APPLICTIONS DUE TO LARGE WAITLIST*
Ready to apply for Dartmouth Housing?
Click below to get your application started!
Housing Needs In Numbers
of Halifax households have a housing affordability issue.
are renters, compared to just 15.1% owners.
of all households in Halifax are living in deep housing poverty.
Get in Touch
Telephone: (902) 469-0543
Fax: (902) 469-2089
General Email: email@example.com
Dartmouth Housing (Dartmouth Non-Profit Housing Society)
53 Ochterloney Street
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 1C3
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am - 12:30pm | 1pm - 4:30pm